Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Poblano and Chicken Soup

Working from home today afforded me the opportunity to notice that Jo had left Rachel Ray on the TV this morning as she left for work.  I caught the very end and only saw her tasting her Poblano and Chicken Soup, but it was enough for me to know that I wanted some and that I was going to give it a shot today.  I seemed to do fairly well with my Turkey Soup so I know a little bit about how to make a stock.  Making soup does require a lot of steps but the steps themselves are pretty quick and can be spread throughout the day.  

First up was the Stock:

Best part of the stock -> the lime!
Pretty standard (I think)... carrots, celery, chicken on the bone (Grandpop will be happy) and onions... but then some lime thrown in which smelled awesome.  After making the stock, I had to deal with the roughest part of this job, which was dealing with the peppers.   Broiled them to blacken them on all sides and then had to peel the skin off of each pepper and remove all the seeds.   At this point I was questioning if it was worth the work required. 
 


I also had to cook two large potatoes and then mash them with some of the stock.   Then the potatoes and the pepper mixtures were combined and processed until they were nice and smooth.  Then that was combined in a large pot with some fresh garlic, cumin, coriander, and white corn.   Finally took the chicken that was in the stock and cut that up and put back into the soup...

Threw some crumbled tortilla chips in the bottom before serving.

With Jo working till 7 I was able to finish it up after work and let it simmer for a while.... I thought it was very good but it definitely did not blow me away.  Plus it was fairly complicated dealing with the peppers so it may be a while before I make this again. 

Jo came home and really liked the soup which was nice... Reedman went to bed on time so it is time for some Scrabble!   Yesterday I dropped a 96 point word with "Charlie", a personal record!






No comments:

Post a Comment