Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mom's French Toast


Today we are headed out for our 2nd annual "Xmas present dinner" with my parents, Theresa and Aunt Pat  at El Vez... we all buy each other gift certificates to the same place (last year Buddakan) and then we go and try to order almost everything on the menu.   We are going to eat dinner around 2:30 and then heading out to see Rich Cox at Curran's in Palmyra, should be a fun day!  So Jo and I thought we should have a good breakfast and skip lunch so that we were ready to eat everything possible at El Vez.  For weeks Jo has been talking about how she can't wait to have the crab meat guacamole, nachos, and margaritas...  

So for breakfast we decided to make French Toast... a favorite of mine from when I was growing up, my mom would make it just for me.  A pretty simple recipe but I have made a few little tweaks.  First tweak for this morning's breakfast was getting a big loaf of just baked wheat bread from the supermarket...  not sliced, this way I could cut my own nice and thick slices:


4 eggs beaten with a little bit of milk and a small splash of Vanilla (Jo's suggestion).  I always thought the Cinnamon made the french toast, so I pretty much add it at every step.  Sprinkled in some cinnamon into the egg mixture then throw the bread in there and then into the pan with some butter.  Sprinkle cinnamon on top of each piece as it cooks as well.   When it was done we threw some confectionate sugar on top (along with cinnamon again) and some butter and syrup. 


It was so good and filling... will keep us good to go until El Vez.

So good, even Reed ate it!

2 comments:

  1. Bob says, "I would like to see your take on some more traditional dishes...like Cheerios or Peanut Butter and Jelly"

    ReplyDelete